Faculty of Tourism and Hospitality Management (FTHM) with its seat in Opatija was established in 1960. As a constituent of the University of Rijeka the Faculty is nowadays the only institution of higher education in the Republic of Croatia that performs the programs in the field of tourism, hospitality industry and sustainable development on the undergraduate, graduate and doctoral level, as well as a wide range of lifelong learning programs.
FTHM as a scienctific, research and educational institution acts as a creator of knowledge about tourism, hospitality industry and sustainable development. Students are provided a quality education aimed at taking over the leadership positions in the conditions of a strong global competition. Employees thereby play a crucial role. Stimulating working environment initiates innovation, scientific, research and educational excellence, loyalty and commitment. Creative partnerships with the economy, public sector and civil society provide scientific based solutions to economic and social challenges. FTHM encourages excellence whereby all the activities are carried out in accordance with the principles of ethics and social responsibility.
The vision of the Faculty is to be a leader in higher education, scientific and professional research in the field of tourism, hospitality industry and sustainable development in Croatia and wider region.
Strategic orientation of the Faculty in the next five years is to strengthen its position as a highly respected institution of higher education for tourism, hospitality industry and sustainable development in the Republic of Croatia and to disseminate knowledge throughout the wider region. Accordingly, special emphasis will be given to the improvement of the quality of the teaching process, scientific and research work. Special attention will also be paid to the development of individuals and the institution as a whole, to the public involvement of the employees and to the role of the Faculty in improving the life quality of the community where it operates.
Strategic goals and tasks arising from the vision and mission of the Faculty are defined and structured in accordance with the Development Strategy of the University of Rijeka 2014 - 2020 within four strategic areas: research, education, public involvement and organisation.
Scientific research in the field of tourism, hospitality industry and sustainable development represents the basic activity of the Faculty. In the next five years special efforts will be made to raise the level of the scientific activity, to integrate the Faculty into the European research area and to encourage the circulation of researchers in order to increase personal and institutional research capacities. In order to achieve it, the following strategic objectives are set:
- FTHM is a research institution with a high level of scientific activity
- FTHM is integrated into the European research area
- FTHM encourages the concept of circulation of researchers in order to increase personal and institutional capacities
- FTHM recognizes the importance of sustainable regional development and supports the research related to issues of sustainable development
The purpose of the Faculty is to provide top-quality higher education based on scientific knowledge in the field of tourism, hospitality industry and sustainable development. The strategic objectives in the five-year period can be summarized as follows:
- FTHM promotes a high quality and efficient education
- At FTHM students are in the very center of the learning process and are co-responsible for the success of the educational process
- At FTHM students are actively involved in cultural, sports and social activities
- FTHM is integrated in the area of higher education
- FTHM has a system that increases competitiveness and employability of students
- FTHM increases availability of higher education to all interested individuals
- FTHM develops systematically programs of lifelong learning
Employees and students of the Faculty are actively involved in public policy of the local government institutions, scientific and professional institutions, social organizations and civil society contributing to the development of the economy and the society as a whole. The strategic objectives in the area of public involvement are:
- FTHM is a publicly responsible and socially sensitive institution
- FTHM is a driving force of economic development, as well as a relevant partner and an entity that ensures the transfer of knowledge
- FTHM is a key factor in the transition of the region into the knowledge-based society
- FTHM takes part in the activities of cultural development in the region
- FTHM promotes health through a systematic development of university sports activities
The strategic orientation of the Faculty in the coming five-year period is to be a flexible institution that meets market and public needs and to achieve the highest level of quality, organisation and responsibility in order to strengthen its position as a leader in the field of higher education for tourism, hospitality industry and sustainable development. The aforementioned can be achieved by fulfilling the following strategic objectives:
- FTHM takes an active part in the integration of the University
- FTHM establishes instruments for the development of each individual and institution in an efficient and transparent way
- FTHM strives to achieve the highest level of quality, organisation and responsibility through its strategic management
- FTHM is a flexible institution that satisfies market and public needs
- FTHM has an elaborated plan of smart specialisation
- FTHM is an internationally recognized institution for education in the field of tourism, hospitality industry and sustainable development
The bodies defined by the Statute and the organisational structure of the Faculty are responsible for practical implementation of the Strategy. However, the implementation of the Strategy is a continuous process that presupposes a cooperative relationship, open dialogue, and taking the responsibility by all stakeholders as well as the adaptability of the objectives and tasks in accordance with changes in the environment in order to achieve the vision of the Faculty by 2020.